THIS WORLD IS NOT YOUR HOME ..... " Our Physical Death" (part 2)

.


"But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city." Hebrews 11:16
.

MY PERSONAL AKEDAH

Akedah - is a Hebrew word which means the 'Binding of Isaac’ taken from the account in the book of Genesis.
Abraham, at the command of God takes his son Isaac
to be offered as a sacrifice on Mount Moriah.
Abraham binds his son (hence ‘the Binding of Isaac’)
to the altar and is ready to perform the dreadful
deed when an angel appears to tell him to stay his
hand and to promise him that his seed will increase

As promised in my last blog, this is the account of my personal Akedah. I pray you will be touched and you might realize, as I have, that it will cost us everything to gain Christ who gave everything that He might gain us. I know I shall weep with the writing of this message as so heart rending was my sacrificial expedience. Conversely the glorious rewards arising from my sacrifice have so outweighed the cost I was called to pay. Isn't that the way it is with God. That which you are called to give and thus "die to" is resurrected and returned in so much greater form as to be almost unrecognizable. The further you walk with Jesus the more you realize this journey is all about "death and resurrection" and that is a most glorious thing as "the end of a matter is better than its beginning." (Eccl.7:8)

And it came to pass after these things, that God did
tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and
he said, Behold, here I am. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of. Gen 22:1,2

Before I share my account, please allow me to diverge for a bit. I must tell you, there have been some battles waged over the idea that God would ever command anyone to sacrifice their son. The Jews have incessantly discussed and debated Abraham's sacrifice for centuries and even today, Christians debate whether Abraham was actually commanded of God or just plain delusional. The "Akedah" remains as one of the most difficult of all Biblical texts to understand, justify and transmit to new generations.

After my personal experiences and by the witness of the Spirit within, I have to believe it truly was the voice of God Abraham heard. Added to that understanding, amongst other things, the Biblical concept of "first the natural, then the spiritual." (1Cor15:46) plus this scripture (below) speaking to the Old Testament characters and accounts it is clear to me Abraham was not delusional but lucid and obedient.

Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. 1Cr 10:11

The final word for me is the fact that the "binding of Isaac" is mentioned in the New Testament Book of Hebrews as amongst the many acts of faith recorded in the Old Testament.

"By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, of whom it was said, "In Isaac your seed shall be called," concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead, from which he also received him in a figurative sense." Heb 11:17-19

I can concur with the conclusion of this author's message below which addresses Abraham's state with regard to the sacrifice of his son. I like wise believe this patriarch's actions were the result of a "radical obedience." And if you have walked very far with God I would believe you have at one time or another had to exhibit this same obedience. Truly,
"God has chosen the things which the world regards as foolish, in order to put its wise men to shame." (1Cor 1:27)

".......at a simple, rational level, the command of God challenged Abraham to embrace the absurd, the irrational, or the unintelligible. What sense does it make to murder the son of promise through whom God had promised to bless all the earth? ...... Abraham had to transcend normal ethical expectations. Good parents love and nourish their children, they do not murder them in religiously-inspired violence and claim that "God told me to do it."

....... How could Abraham possibly have known whether Isaac would be spared (as it so happened) or whether he might kill Isaac only to have God raise him from the dead (the interpretation of Hebrews 11:17-19)

Abraham had to act as a solitary individual, with no guarantees or clarity, knowing that he might be horribly wrong and deeply deceived by himself or others, knowing that his actions would merit the opprobrium of his family and community, knowing that his act would be irreversible, and contrary to everyday standards of ethics and rationality. In his radical obedience, Abraham "worked out his salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12,13), with palpable dread and humility, before a God who asks everything, absolutely everything, of us."
Dan Clendenin


"The wind blows where it wants to" (Jn 3:8) and I had no original inclination to share so much background on the Biblical Akedah. That said, I do hope this material has been of interest to you and if anything, shown the need to always seek the Holy Spirit as to the interpretation and meaning of any scripture. I humbly ask you to please allow me now to return to my original purpose; that, of sharing my personal Akedah experience.

A few years ago I was deep in contemplation while sitting in my den. I normally am involved in very little reflection as far as my walk with God, however this night I was taken back decades in remembrance of my shortcomings as a parent. This was one of those painful occasions where God by His Holy Spirit illuminates the darkness and sin in your life. Although this was a rare occasion for me, it was even rarer that God would shine His light on my past. Normally, and as I said, on rare occasions, God will illuminate the remaining darkness in my soul. This always brings great grief and causes me to ever cleave tighter to the Father's bosom where His pure heart beats.

This night, as I was taken back in time I was sickened and completely heart broken as I saw my sins while parenting my two children. Most of my shortcomings were in relationship with my son, with whom I spent much time raising as a single parent. Most of my past sins revealed, were of omission rather than commission and they were born out of a selfish spirit where my concerns for myself were greater than my concerns for my children. Of course much of this was of the "I am too busy or tired to give right now" mind set. Even just beginning to write of this account, I am now awash in tears because so great was my anguish that night.

It seemed like I sat and knelt on the floor of my den for hours weeping and moaning and when I thought I could take it no more God spoke to me five words that changed my life forever. He said deep in my spirit, "You could do nothing different." Oh my, I learned more about God's sovereignty that night with the supernal utterance of those five words than I had in all of my thirty previous years of contemplating the subject of man's free will vs. God's sovereignty. I recognized for the first time my state of complete futility and clearly saw that all men are created subject to this same overwhelming futility (Rom 8:20). In an instant there was a "Divine knowing" that arose within me and with it came the greatest relief from the overwhelming and crushing guilt I was experiencing. Accompanying that "knowing" was also an over riding belief that "God works all things for good" and my children would be better than fine when His purpose was accomplished in their lives. How utterly amazing and miraculous are the ways of this God we serve!


God bless,

Jack

Note: Rather than make this blog too long and thus possibly
detract from the crux of "My Personal Akedah" account I
feel led to end this message here for now. For those of you
that have stuck with me this far I thank you and I hope I
haven't disappointed or bored you. Lord willing I plan to finish
this sharing of my sacrificial experience and the glorious results
in my next blog.

(next: my life changing vision of death, the sacrifice of
my two children and the glorious results)


.