Brother Lawrence

This morning I read a most glorious testimony of a life lived by one who learned to seek God in simplicity and from sincerity of heart. I really do not know of a more glorious biography that I have ever read. It is anything but flashy and totally void of what the world would count as great exploits. This is the story of Brother Lawrence who quietly lived and served God during the seventeenth century. If I was to give any young Christian a biography that exemplifies a true walk in Christ it would be this one which blessed me so profoundly this morning. This is an excerpt, where Lawrence reflects on his time spent as a cook in a monastery.

"In the way of God," he said, "thoughts count for little, love does everything.””

"And it is not necessary," he continued, "to have great things to do. I turn my little omelette in the pan for the love of God; when it is finished, if I have nothing to do, I prostrate myself on the ground and adore my God, Who gave me the grace to make it, after which I arise, more content than a king. When I cannot do anything else, it is enough for me to have lifted a straw from the earth for the love of God.””

And here are the last pages of a life given to Christ as testimony of one totally given to the will of God.


Death did not frighten Brother Lawrence at all. On his deathbed, he displayed marks of a stability, a resignation, and a joy that were quite extraordinary. His hope became firmer and his love more ardent. If he had loved God deeply during his life, he did not love Him any less at death. But the virtue he esteemed above all others - faith - became particularly vigorous, penetrating him with its grandeur and enlightening him by its radiance.

He was given some final time alone to reflect on the great grace which God had given him during his life. When asked how he spent that time, he replied that he had been doing what he would be doing for all eternity——"Blessing God, praising God, adoring Him, and loving Him with all my heart. That is our whole purpose, brothers, to adore God and to love Him, without worrying about the rest."

The next day, February 12th, 1691, without any agony and without the loss of any of his senses, Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection died in the embrace of the Lord. At eighty years of age, he gave back his soul to God with the peace and tranquility of a person falling asleep. His death was like a gentle slumber which helped him pass from this life into a more blessed one .........

This is a short bio and one that I am sending to a number of friends for their edification. This I believe is what a life lived unto Him is all about. The link is given below.

Glorify His Name!: The Practice of the Presence of God; The Life of Brother Lawrence
By Joseph de Beaufort


http://glorifyhisname.com/sys-tmpl/ppg5/

Jack