THE STILL SOUL

.

"For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His." Heb 4:10
.
.
.

NO MISTAKES IN GOD
The "fee will/works theology" is a strong barrier standing before our rest. The belief in "free will and works" is such a terrific burden to dispel, as the carnal soul ever wants to participate in it's own salvation. Even though my life is laid at Jesus' feet, still on occasion, I catch myself thinking, "if only I had or I should have." Forget for a moment, the utterances of "I will".

There is a better way that many of us, who live surrendered lives, are realizing.

.
Alas, we have discovered, when we came to Zion, there are no mistakes in God. We do, what would be considered by some, as some pretty dumb stuff, even as we grow up in Christ. After, what would be perceived as a costly error in judgement through our doing, our tendency is to say, "I must remember that mistake, that I not make it again." I believe, the better and more perfect way, is to believe, all my ways are committed to Him that He might have His way with me. He does any way, doesn't He (lol). We also learn that our foibles and follies are ordained to humble us, that we might ever lean more on Him. Such is the increase of our rest, for our residence in the Spirit of Christ Jesus is our Sabbath.

WHEN WE FALL

When we stumble or fall we get up and fasten anew, our eyes upon Him. Self condemnation is not our job and even God does not input sin against us. Instead we have confidence that His judgements if and when forthcoming are ordained in Love and for our perfection.

I like the advice of Fentelon concerning a fault committed. He said, "if some distraction or other should hide Him for a moment, without stopping to look at it, we simply turn again to Him from whom we had departed. If we commit faults, we repent with a repentance wholly of love, and, returning to God, he makes us feel whatever we ought. Sin seems hideous, but we love the humiliation of which it is the cause, and for which God permitted it."

The Christian mystic, Julian of Norwich also claimed, she knew of no lover of God who was kept safe from falling. She is voicing the understanding, that to descend is God's will... the fall, the descent, and its subsequent humility can be seen as another form of blessing."

SLAVE TO SIN

How many of us, before we learned of God's rest, used to utilize every human effort possible to fight sin. We thought we were overcoming, but instead, might we have been a slave to sin. I speak of another type of "slave to sin" than that which we normally think of. I copied this from somewhere in my Internet travels and it speaks to this "slavery".

"The term "slave to sin" is very nuanced. People automatically assume that it means that you are a slave to your selfish desires. Yes, you can be a slave to sin in this manner.

You can also be a slave to sin by constantly focusing on sin and battling it. If you are constantly preoccupied with "overcoming" sin, then you are a slave to sin. You are a slave to the concept of sin. You are a slave to battling sin. You are supposed to be dead to sin. Sin should be of no consequence to you anymore because you know the truth- that nothing you do can separate you from God or make him love and accept you any more or any less. This doesn't give you license to sin, but it allows you to REST from worry over sin. You now don't have to concern yourself with sin. When you don't concern yourself with sin, you are dead to sin. If you are constantly battling sin and trying desperately to overcome it, then you are a slave to sin."


DOING OUR PART?

Again, there are some that would believe and say, that as soon as we meet all the conditions, God will act. They hold to the idea, that we will see all our needs met and even our full resurrection, when we are totally obedient to the Father's will. These are often "fast and pray" people as I was once. Oh my! How, I ever tried to beat the flesh into submission.

John Gavazonni spells out the dilemma so many face, while following the tenants of the organized church.
.
"Institutional Christianity is addicted to the idea that for things to work out right between us and God, "we have to do our part," and if we do, then "God will do His part." That makes God dependent upon us "getting it right" before He can get on with His purpose and will. At the heart of our flesh's alienation from God, at the heart of our blindness and ignorance, is the desire to get credited for "holding up our part of the deal." We like the idea of grace, as long as the successful operation of grace is attributable to us "letting God" do what He wants to do."
.
GIVE UP AND LET GOD
So what about obedience? Today, I know there is only One that is obedient and we need only but rest in Him. We can do nothing of ourselves that is pleasing unto God. The truth be told, our efforts are but hindrances. Our trust is that God, through Christ Jesus, will sustain and finish the work He began in us. "Give up and let God", is a favorite saying of mine.

"For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His." Heb 4:10

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ" Phil 1:6

"He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1Cor 1:8


THE STILL SOUL
Lastly, as far as works, if you are like me, you have gone through the self questioning and even been queried by a church goer or two. The familiar question is, "why are you not more busy ...... why are you not laboring?" Dear reader, there is a greater work being done by Christ in you and me. And this greater work, will manifest even greater works in the fullness of time when patience has done it's perfect work. For this you are reserved and neither you nor I can speed it up nor hinder it. We must rest until that Glorious Day.

Joian shared a poem by Lettie Cowman with me, last week. It stilled my soul and encouraged me to live,"choosing not to choose." I pray this message along with Lettie's poem, does the same for you.
Jack


I longed to walk along an easy road,
And leave behind the dull routine of home,
Thinking in other fields to serve my God;
But Jesus said, "My time has not yet come."

I longed to sow the seed in other soil,
To be unfettered in the work, and free,
To join with other laborers in their toil;
But Jesus said, "'Tis not My choice for thee."

I longed to leave the desert, and be led
To work where souls were sunk in sin and shame,
That I might win them; but the Master said,
"I have not called thee, publish here My name."

I longed to fight the battles of my King,
Lift high His standards in the thickest strife;
But my great Captain bade me wait and sing
Songs of His conquests in my quiet life.

I longed to leave the uncongenial sphere,
Where all alone I seemed to stand and wait,
To feel I had some human helper near,
But Jesus bade me guard one lonely gate.

I longed to leave the round of daily toil,
Where no one seemed to understand or care;
But Jesus said, "I choose for thee this soil,
That thou might'st raise for Me some blossoms rare."

And now I have no longing but to do
At home, or else afar, His blessed will,
To work amid the many or the few;
Thus, "choosing not to choose," my heart is still.


Note: even the "choosing" is ordained of God, for "He worketh all things"—absolutely all things, without any exceptions—"after the counsel of his own will." Eph. 1:11


.